Friday, June 14, 2013

Memorial, Lady Liberty, and ESB

Happy Friday to ya! It's our departure day (nooooo!!!) but I'm spending time on the 'ole blog.

I'm a couple quite a few days behind with the recaps, but not to worry - I'll have recaps of all the days coming your way!

Tuesday started a little late due to us sleeping in a little to much, and after going to bed past midnight the past two nights, we needed it. After getting ready, we headed downstairs for a cup of coffee to plan our day over.




We didn't really have any plans due to the weather kind of messing up our schedule, so we decided to get all the "outside things" done Tuesday and Wednesday. The 9/11 Memorial seemed to be our best option because we were up and going earlier than Monday.


Reibs has been our subway navigator, although I'm getting the hang of it. It's always a relief to know you can get somewhere by train in 10 minutes rather than walking for 30.




One thing that has surprised me about the city is the sheer size of the buildings. Now I know why they're called skyscrapers - I didn't guess I didn't expect them to be so massive!




I have to say - it was quite a hassle figuring out how to get to the memorial. We walked about 8 or 9 blocks, and then had to turn back to end up here to get our tickets:



We then had to walk another 3 streets to reach the actual memorial, and took a stop at the old church and graveyard.



It was a fantastic day outside, (perfect weather is you ask me; so much nicer than GA) so we didn't really mind the walking - the scenery is so beautiful when the sun is peeking out!



After an hour of walking around and getting through security, we made it. I'll admit: I felt a little bit uneasy being there. The memorial is beautiful and reverent, but thinking about all of the lives lost on that one day was somewhat perturbing. However, the memorial was beautiful and the new "Freedom Tower" was definitely a symbol of hope in our country.










 I wanted to just sit there and contemplate and ponder for hours, but we had a boat to catch for a tour on the Hudson River.

We took a subway and walked through the ever-crowded and busy Times Square. I've never seen anything like it with all of its bright neon lights and people walking around - the city life was really still sinking in at that point. It's so different than Atlanta!

With all the walking we got hungry fast, and stopped by Starbucks for the quickest/nearest/best lunch at that point.

Reibs ordered a caramel apple spice and a chicken and pepper panini and I went with a kale and roasted veggie salad.




I was pleasantly surprised that it was so tasty and filling - most boxed or prepackaged items, however healthy an option, are generally lackluster for me; but I will be recreating this! Kale, cabbage, roasted tomatoes, butternut squash, broccoli, peas, and a lemon-tahini dressing.

Our boat tour was basically a way to see the Statue of Liberty, the Brooklyn Bridge, Ellis Island, and different perspectives of the city in one trip.










It was gray, rainy, and windy out, but luckily not too cold so Reibs and I stood out on the bow in order to get a closer look at Lady Liberty herself.


Yes, this picture is sideways because my computer is having a glitch, and I can't get it to rotate! 

The tour was a little over an hour and gave us a chance to rest our feet, so we decided we could fit in one last stop at the Empire State Building. 




We walked there - it only took about 15 minutes - and we got to pass through Times Square again.

The ESB is 102 stories high, and we took an elevator to the observation deck, as well as pass through a couple of galleries telling the history, mechanics, and numbers of the skyscraper.







Ugh so sorry about the photos! I just didn't want to leave them out.

The top of the building was completely unreal. It's so awesome to see different perspectives of the city!!








We headed back to the hotel and ordered from the hotel menu, which was a selection of tapas that were delicious.

I order the fish tacos, which was mahi mahi in a beer batter (?), a spicy tomato sauce, avocado, red onions, and lettuce on mini tortillas. Delectable!



Rebekah ordered a trio of mac n' cheese - (left to right) - classic American, Spanish (chorizo), and New York style, all made with Manchengo cheese. I had a bite of each and all were delisioso.




Mom ordered "chicken lollipops" which were just spicy hot wings, bleu cheese dip, and a Caesar salad with a lemon vinaigrette and croutons.




And with that, we headed up to the room to relax before bed!


NYC, day 4 is coming your way soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment