Wednesday, April 3, 2013

More Muffins.

Spring is finally coming. FINALLY.

 
Georgia weather is notorious for being all. over. the. place. The overcast skies and mediocre temps just get....bleh. For the past few weeks I have been obsessively checking the weather waiting for warmth.
 
Ah, the wait is worth it, friends.
 
 
Although this outside girl loves all the seasons, it's time to ditch the long-sleeves and gray skies. You know?
 
 
 
Well, I don't have much else to say, so I suppose I should get to the point of the title. I do indeed have another muffin recipe.
 
You're welcome.
 
These babies are banana-y, chocolatey, gooey, and comforting. Did I also mention they're naturally sweetened, packed with antibiotics, vitamins, minerals, and they're vegan?
 
 
  I confess that I'm always a little insecure when I present something I've baked to my family because....well....I've had a few mishaps (read: tasting like cardboard/too much salt/so on). But these kids are winners.
 
Le star: black bananas. Nature's sugar. The dark chocolate provides the antibiotics (learned from Robyn, whose blog I got this from!), and I love the hint of banana.
 
 
 
Don't shy away!
 
Vegan [Gluten-free] Banana-Chocolate Chip Muffins
adapted from the The Real Life RD
 
  
3 mashed ripe bananas
2 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup applesauce (I had old-fashioned so I used that)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup almond milk
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
 
 Directions:

Preheat oven to 350*

Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. On top, stir in mashed bananas, applesauce, vanilla, brown sugar, and almond milk - until JUST mixed. Then gently fold in the chocolate chips - you don't want to over-mix or else they'll be dense.

Scoop into a greased or lined muffin tin.
 
 Bake for 15-17 minutes.

Easy as pie muffins!
 


 
 
Mmmm, I'm hungry. I actually used old-fashioned applesauce cuz that's what we had (work with watcha got!), but if you're watching added sugars, I'd just suggest reducing the turbinado sugar or using all-natural applesauce.
 
 
I had so many chocolate chips left that I baked cookies to bring to my neighbors! :)
 
Have a fantastic evening!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment